For cancer patients accessing the Riverina Cancer Care Centre for treatment a transport service is available at no cost to patients. The vehicles and ongoing running costs associated with maintaining the two vehicles have been generously donated by key Riverina Community members and local businesses. The service is run by a group of hard working and enthusiastic volunteers.
Access to the Riverina Cancer Care Centre Transport Service will be provided to persons who are patients who have a diagnosis of cancer and who are transport disadvantaged and are frail and elderly including those with disabilities. There are no transport costs for persons using the Service within the City of Wagga Wagga. Should the Service be required to operate outside Wagga Wagga, Management may determine for a fee to be imposed.
To ensure the service is viable for many years to come and also manageable on a day to day basis for our volunteer team, criteria has been established for the transport service use. The Service is not available to persons who: -
- Are attending the centre for consultation only – unless special circumstances exist.
- Require medical or nursing assistance in transit
- Have access to alternate transport
- Pose a risk to the safety of the driver or passengers
- Do not adhere to the wearing of a seat belt or fail to provide a Medical Certificate exempting them from doing so
- Are not receiving treatment for cancer
- Are not accompanying a person receiving treatment for cancer
The staff and management of the Riverina Cancer Care Centre would like to acknowledge the follow generous local businesses and community members for their dedicated support over many years:
- Brian and Joy Kahlefeldt
- Riverina Cancer Care Community Trust
- Avis Riverina and Phil Wallace
- Tyre World Wagga Wagga
- JB Mechanical and Jason Brown